Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

My Bruised Ego

      I guess this blog post is a confessional, a lame little lament about a battering my writer's ego has recently taken, and how I have humbly recovered from it, and am ready to plod on.
     Many of you know that I spent five years of full-time work researching and writing a historical novel about the life of Ona Judge Staines, and that much of the last year was devoted to seeking representation for it.
       A few weeks ago I discovered that a non-fiction account of her life has been published by scholar Erica Armstrong Dunbar. I confess my immediate reaction was a panicked little sense of loss, which has mostly dissipated. I am truly glad for her accomplishment and know that her book is needed having been frustrated by the lack of such books when I was doing my research. I wish her the utmost success.
       Here is a piece the NYT put out yesterday about the story.

      https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/06/arts/george-washington-mount-vernon-slavery.html?_r=3


      At about the same time that I learned about Professor Dunbar's book, I came to a realization about my own that was another humbling blow. After getting feedback from some outstanding literary agents who all said similar things about my story being "almost, but not quite, good enough" I have decided to hire a developmental editor to help me revise it again. I found one who specializes in historical fiction, and once I accepted the idea that it is necessary I have become excited about working with her. It is an expense I can't really afford but after investing five years and a lot of money into writing the story, skipping this step just seems silly now. Together we will spend the next few months polishing my pages and then I will start the querying process all over again. That will also give me time to read Ms. Dunbar's book and perhaps change anything I may have gotten wrong in my research. I also hope to meet Ms. Dunbar. There is no doubt we both share a special love for a woman who was almost, but not quite, lost to history.




2 comments:

  1. This business is very tough on egos. I hope you know how remarkable it is, what an affirmation of both your subject and style, to get such personal notes from a good agent, and it does seem worth your investment of time and money to move forward as you are. Glad you can put the bruises behind you. And nonfiction and fiction can supplement each other, with different audiences. Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. replica mont blanc starwalker, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of replica mont blanc ballpoint pen, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting.