Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Rules for Writers

     Got a semi-acceptance this week, which I'm only semi-excited about. Will post more about it when all of the details have been worked out. Also made a big decision about one of my children's book projects that I have been trying to move forward for quite awhile, and spent some time reworking that manuscript. I really think it's finished now! Got one press release out. Attended a monthly meeting called Writer's Night Out that I haven't been able to get to for a couple of months, and chatted with a few other writers about the rules that they do and don't live by. These socials are always quite interesting. Every one there always seems to want to know the same thing from the others ~ how do you make this life work for you? I wonder if we aren't looking for some simple rules for success where none really exist?... Also got a little work done promoting the book that is a new little side gig of mine, and a little volunteer work done lining up next year's featured poets for the Portsmouth Poet Laureate Program.
     It was Woody Allen who said two interesting things about success that I think are highly applicable to writing;

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative", and
"Eighty percent of success is showing up."

     Here are a few links that I wanted to share; my latest column about a woman who knows how to get things done, Janet Fitch's rules for writing from the LA Times which I found instructive, and a very interesting site for bibliophiles that a friend shared with me yesterday.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20100804-LIFE-8040305

Janet Fitch's 10 rules for writers

http://fivebooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.