Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Camping on The Merrimack River

     Here is my Earth Day gift for you; http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4232
     I didn't know until long after I had grown up and moved away from home that Henry David Thoreau had traveled to and written this book about canoeing and camping on the river that I grew up on. It bothered me to think that this information wasn't shared with all of the children who grew up in that town and went to the little country school a short walk from the river's edge. I think literary links like that can be very influential to a kid and wonder what I would have thought of it then. I'm certain I would have brought it up as a topic of conversation at one of the many teenage beer drinking parties I attended in those same woods where he camped.
     Granted there was no Gutenberg Project in those days making classic literature easy to give away. I commend this project for the fine work it does, helping to make the world wide web a real sign of progress. I think Thoreau would really approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.