Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Duotropes and Pearl Earrings


     Yesterday morning, after a leisurely workout at the dojo, I was having a brunch meeting with a couple of local poets, (yeah if I complain about my life you should e-slap me) both very accomplished writers. We were doing some of our annual planning as board members for the Portsmouth Poet Laureate Program. But, as poets will, we got off track a few times, and during one of those side discussions, I received a great tip that I think is going to make a big difference for me. Maybe you all already know about it, and were keeping it a secret from me! I have reached a point in my amateur writing career where getting organized is paramount, and it has become hard to keep track of what I am sending out, and when and where it was sent. Turns out I can do all of that at Duotrope, a website designed for writers that offers a submission tracker among other things. I am going to begin using it today and will report back in a few weeks.

     After going to hear Paul Harding speak about his Pulitzer Prize winning novel last week, I embarked on A Tracy Chevalier personal reading kick that has been sheer summer pleasure for me. (I have gotten some writing done in between reading fits.) As soon as I finished The Virgin Blue, which I actually found exciting to read, I grabbed a copy of Girl With A Pearl Earring. Though I saw the movie years ago I had never read the book. Chevalier really writes the way I want to. I would like to hear what others think of her work.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.